The Proform 590T is a well designed treadmill with lots of useful and impressive key features, all for under $700 dollars.
The machine boasts; ProResponse cushioning, a 20 x 55 inch belt, 16 workout apps, iFit compatibility, fold-away feature, pulse sensor heart rate grips, 10 mph maximum speed, 10% incline and iPod compatibility. For only a few hundred dollars more than the most basic treadmills on the market, is this machine worth the extra money? Does it offer more of a universal usage than the most basic treadmills?
Dimensions & Technical Specifications
- 78 x 30 x 11 inches (198.12 x 76.2 x 27.9 cm)
- 205 pounds (92.9 kg) assembled weight
- 239 pounds (108.4 kg) shipping weight
- 20 x 55 inch (50.8 x 139.7 cm) treadbelt
- 300 pounds (136 kg) maximum weight capacity
- 25 CHP Mach Z Motor: Experience expanded power with this quiet, self-cooling drive system. Employing an axial fan, this motor reduces noise as it cools internal components enhancing your workout environment and extending the motor’s life.
- ProResponse Cushioning: This innovative cushioning integrates firmer support zones at the foot strike and takeoff portion of your stride and a softer support zone throughout the rest.
- 6″ Backlit Display: Keep track of your workout progress on this 6″ display that displays your speed, time, distance, incline, pulse and calories burned.
- 0–10 MPH QuickSpeed Control: Instantly change the speeds between 0–10 MPH with the touch of a button.
- 0–10% Quick Incline Control: The best and most convenient incline adjustment allows you to change inclines with the touch of a button.
- 16 Workout Apps: Get the workout you want with 16 built-in workout apps designed by a Certified Personal Trainer.
- Dual-Grip EKG Heart Rate Monitor: Make the most out of every workout by monitoring your heart rate with these built-in handlebar sensors.
- SpaceSaver Design with EasyLift Assist: This revolutionary design allows your treadmill to fold vertically for storage. To make it even easier, this treadmill includes a powerful shock that will help lift the deck with an easy push.
- 20” x 55” TreadBelt: A vital component of the drive system, this roomy treadmill belt is designed to operate both smoother and quieter than the average treadmill belt.
- Compatible Music Port for iPod: Rock your workout to your favorite music!
- 300 lb. Weight Capacity: The ProForm 590 T Treadmill accommodates up to 300 lbs.
- Warranty: Lifetime Frame Warranty, 25-Year Motor Warranty and 1-Year Parts & Labor Warranty
The treadmill itself feels relatively sturdy underfoot and feels safe enough to lightly run on without worry of it shifting or breaking, although it’s always worth placing grip mats underneath a treadmill just for peace of mind. The ProResponse Cushioning is a good feature but unfortunately doesn’t seem to absorb much of the impact when you use the machine at full capacity. Like some of the cheaper Proform treadmills you can feel like the entire room shakes around you if you start to jog or run. If you’re looking to give your machine a pounding you may find you feel it in your surrounding room as well.
The belt is a little unreliable and can shift between users, which is inconvenient and a little bit of a safety issue if you don’t notice it. The running space is listed as 20 x 55 inches which is only 5 inches in length shorter than most modern treadmills. The space you have to run on is a comfortable size for most users and enables you to use the machine to its full capacity quite easily. Those who like to run full throttle and full speed, may not find this machine completely comfortable because of the ‘pounding’ issue and the 5 inch shorter length.
You have a lot to play with in the way of performance on this machine. The performance features are;16 inbuilt workouts, 10% incline, 10 mph maximum speed, pulse sensors, various feedback capabilities and iFit compatibility.
If you don’t have the iFit console, you still have plenty of useful features to enjoy on this machine. The incline and speed options aren’t the highest on the market but they are adequate, especially if you are new to fitness. The pulse sensors do not provide a particularly accurate heart reading which is common in most treadmills. The feedback options are basic and allow you to see information like calories burnt, distance travelled and speed.
The best quality inbuilt feature of the machine is the 16 different workout options which have been designed by a personal trainer. They push you to the absolute limit and really challenge your fitness levels as you progress. One rather large problem with this is that the majority of the programs are designed for people who are already moderately fit, whereas treadmills at this price range seem to be most used by those getting back into fitness, looking to maintain moderate fitness or getting through injury recovery. With 16 different programs they could have accommodated all three fitness groups (beginner, moderate and hard) rather than focus on those who are looking to intensify their experience quickly. The machine does have a good all round customization and well balanced list of key features that make it useful to a larger demographic than others in the same price range.
If you do choose to buy the iFit console you will find you have a completely different workout experience. You can have a personal trainer experience where you have a different workout every day, you can also track your progress in a lot more detail.
With or without the iFit this machine does leave you with an adequate amount of fitness tools to help you improve your fitness levels.
Ease Of Use & Convenience
The machine is relatively easy to set up and requires a couple of hours assembly which will more than likely be a lot less stressful if you have someone to help you. If you do come across any issues you may find yourself a little bit frustrated with the customer services department who can be a little tricky to get hold of.
The console itself is easy to use despite looking a little complicated; the screen is backlit which is helpful in dim rooms, the screen however is remarkably small and could have a better contrast in colour to make it easier to read.
Considering the fact that a lot of less abled people will probably opt for this type of machine, it would greatly benefit from a graduated step on option at the back.
The foldaway option does not mean the treadmill folds up completely so be aware that it does close at an angle so isn’t as space saving as the advertising suggests.
The entertainment on this machine very much depends on whether or not you purchase the iFit console. If you don’t purchase the iFit console you may feel a little hard done to in the way of entertainment. If you’re part of the section of users who only want to use this machine for light to moderate exercise you really don’t gain anything from the 16 preset workouts as they are simply too hard.
The compatible music port for your iPod provides adequate sound and luckily the machine is so quiet during use you will be able to gain from the music system. The customization options on the machine are adequate but overall, the treadmill could cater for its largest demographic of users a lot better.
If you have chosen to use the iFit, your workout experience will improve as you can enjoy endless workout possibilities. Do remain aware that your 1 year free membership does run out after 12 months and costs around $100 dollars per year, per user after that time is up.
- Frame- Lifetime
- Motor- 25 years
- Parts and Labour- 1 year
The Final Verdict
The Proform 590 T is definately an improvement on cheaper models with a few additional features than mean it definitely is of a higher quality. However, are these additional features worth the extra money? Unfortunately the machine makes the same mistakes as similar models in that it simply doesn’t care for the users that are most likely to buy it. Aside from the iFit facilities, the workout options available on the machine itself simply pitch to a type of user that probably won’t purchase this machine.
Purchase the Proform 590 T if you want to enjoy moderate exercise on a basic, but sturdy machine. Avoid if you are a fitness expert or running enthusiast who needs to pound their treadmill on maximum capacity for hours every day.