The Proform 790t Treadmill is a well designed machine with a strong motor, excellent comfort levels and plenty of impressive workout features all for under $1000 dollars. The treadmill boasts; ProShox Elite 2 Cushioning, iFit compatibility, 16 inbuilt workout programs, an iPod music port, Dual Grip heart rate monitoring, 12 mph maximum speed and 12% incline capacity. For around $820 dollars you get an awful lot of bang for your buck. Are the components worth the extra money? Does the treadmill feel high quality even though it costs under $1000 dollars?
Dimensions & Technical Specifications
- 76 L x 36.75 W x 68.58 H (193.04 x 93.34 x 174.19 cm)
- 325 pounds (147.4 kg) maximum user capacity
- 20 x 55 inch (50.8 x 139.7 cm) treadbelt
- 255 pounds (115.6 kg) shipping weight
- 5 CHP Mach Z™ Commercial Motor: With more power than an ordinary motor, the commercial-grade Mach Z Motor allows you to exercise for longer periods of time, while maintaining smooth, consistent power. This motor reduces noise as it cools internal components and is ideal for a family or those who run for long periods of time.
- 16 Built-In Workouts: Reach your fitness goals fast with workouts designed by a Certified Personal Trainer. Each workout will help you reach maximum performance with preset speed, incline and time settings. Choose from 8 Weight-Loss Workouts or 8 Performance Workouts.
- 6” Backlit Display: Perfectly clear and easy to read, the ClearView Display has a large viewing angle so no matter how tall or short you are, you can always keep track of your workout progress. It displays your speed, time, distance, pulse and calories burned.
- 0-12 MPH QuickSpeed Control: Interval training will help you burn more calories and keep your workout exciting. Change your speed with the touch of a button.
- 0-12% Quick Incline Control: Walking at an incline reduces impact on your joints and will help you burn fat calories fast! Quick controls adjust your incline with the touch of a button!
- Dual-Grip EKG Heart Rate Monitor: Built-in heart rate sensors help you monitor your heart rate throughout your workout. You’ll stay on track for better, faster results.
- ProShox Elite 2 Cushioning: Reduce impact on your joints with this innovative cushioning! A comfortable walking, jogging or running surface protects your knees, ankles and back so you can stay motivated during any workout. Four isolators absorb impact and relieve tension throughout your body.
- 20″ x 56″ Treadbelt: A vital component of the drive system, this roomy treadmill belt is designed to operate both smoother and quieter than the average treadmill belt.
- SpaceSaver Design with EasyLift Assist: This patented, revolutionary design allows your treadmill to fold vertically for storage. To make it even easier, this treadmill includes a powerful shock that will help lift the deck with an easy push.
- Compatible Music Port for iPod: Rock your workout to your favorite music.
- 325 lb. Weight Capacity: The ProForm 790 T accommodates up to 325 lbs.
- Warranty: Lifetime Frame and Motor Warranty, a 2-Year Parts Warranty and a 1-Year Labor Warranty.
The comfort on this machine is comparable the the quality feel of a treadmill priced over $1000 dollars. The strong 2.5 CHP Mach Z™ Commercial Motor works quietly and smoothly and is the type of motor you would usually expect to see on higher priced models. The frame feels incredibly solid and you feel safe and secure using the machine to its full capacity.
The ProShox cushioning is what gives the treadmill its high end underfoot feel. You get a bounce and movement on this belt comparable to gym treadmills, it really is that comfortable. The cushioning is designed to protect your joints from the negative impact of the movement and you certainly feel that innovative design on an immediate level when you are using the belt.
The 20 x 55 inch running space is great and only 5 inches less than some more expensive machines. Most users will find this a comfortable space to run on, especially when combined with the great ProShox underfoot feeling.
Overall the comfort levels on this machine are second to none, and at the price you’ll be surprised at how high end it feels to use.
Using a machine that feels so fantastic to use before you’ve really interacted with the console is definitely a great sign of things to come. If a machine feels fantastic underfoot, you’re going to want to use it more often.
The 790T has a lot going for it in the way of performance but does have a few negatives that could be a turn off for some users.
The pulse sensors are unfortunately very inaccurate and actually, don’t even feel like they have been secured on the machine very well. It’s a shame telemetry features and a chest strap additional extra couldn’t have been offered at this price point.
The quick speed buttons are great and allow you to go up to 12 mph and 12% incline quickly which is really useful if you’re already warmed up.
The most unfortunate performance feature of the machine is the preset programming on offer. They are designed by a fitness trainer and have 8 weight loss options and 8 performance options. Unfortunately if you aren’t already at least moderately physically fit, you don’t stand a chance of getting through one of these programs. They are actual quite brutal and you really will have to work your fitness up to a good level to be able to endure one of these programs. It is a shame that beginners and intermediate level programs could not have been offered as well.
Aside from all of these inbuilt features you also have iFit capabilities. The free membership is pretty pointless, if you do opt for paid membership you may not have all of the facilities on this particular machine to enjoy it to its full capacity, especially visually.
Ease Of Use & Convenience
Considering its quality feel, the machine is actually relatively easy to set up. As long as you make sure you pay attention to each stage of assembly it shouldn’t take you long, especially if you have someone to help you. It is very heavy so you may want to get some floor mats to set it up on to protect your surfaces, particularly wooden floors. You should also consider the fact that it won’t fit through a standard door frame once it’s been assembled so you’ll want to put it up where you intend to use it.
The machine as a whole is incredibly easy to use with easy quick buttons and a simple user interface. The display is adequate, although at 6 inches it is quite small and compact. The troughs on either side are very practical and leave enough room for water bottles and a few added extras like remotes/ phones etc.
The entertainment on this machine comes in the form of Intermix Acoustics 2.0 with iPod music port and a reading rack.
Unfortunately the speakers are poor which is commonplace with inbuilt exercise machine music systems, it is a handy feature though if you have no access to other entertainment and want something basic to play your music through. The reading rack is adequate and large enough to hold thin items or your MP3 player or iPod.
The machine feels so good to use you’ll probably not mind the lack of entertainment as you will be too busy enjoying your workouts.
- Labour- 1 year
- Parts- 2 years
- Frame and Motor- Lifetime
The Final Verdict
At under $1000 dollars, the Proform 790T is a steal.
Despite its shortcomings in the way of shoddy pulse grips, a tinny music system and aggressive inbuilt programs, the machine is built to last and built to have you using it over and over again.
It’s actually quite mind boggling how Proform have managed to input this level of quality into a machine at this price point.
Don’t purchase if well designed bells and whistles are necessary for you, purchase if you want a long lasting, rugged treadmill that feels fantastic to use.